Monday, July 20, 2009

World of WIKIs

Hello bloggers,

I have been exploring the world of WIKIs in this last week and I like what I see. I think Wikis are a great learning tool for students. Not only can they be used for structuring research but they also have the potential to be very valuable assessment resources. WIKIs provide an easy to use website style learning tool with which students would be able to interact with, monitor and effectively use to complete learning tasks. WIKIs have a vast range of classroom uses but the one I found most interesting was its potential as a progressive assessment and direction tool for teachers to use to gain a better understanding of a students knowledge on a particular topic and, where required, help the student to direct their learning in the appropriate way. Using WIKIs in this way will help to construct learning experiences according to the Learning Design Framework. These WIKIs can also be password protected to ensure student safety from outside sources.

Click here to see the simple WIKI I have created.

Click here if you wish to create your own WIKI at WikiSpaces.com.

I think WIKIs will be a classroom learning tool for my future classroom. Again it would be good to see the age limitations of this learning tool in the classroom.

Cheers, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment